Well here we are again.
I was practising making boots using silicone so that I could make multiples of the same wax formed boot. Koen is our program head and he teaches sandcasting. That means that some of the forms I learn about in 1 class somehow applies to those I might need or use in the other.
to figure out. I had made sculpted the 1st boot, then made a plaster form to hold the expoxy silicone mold that I make. Once I had the silicone form, I could just keep melting wax and pouring it into the mold to create a positive form for my plaster. Then, of course, I could steam the wax out of the mold to make another boot.
My problem was that I can NEVER leave well enough alone!. A boot to an art student is merely a boot. I kept looking at the thing — waiting for it to make me feel inspired.
What happened next is that I put the boot down and began trying
to make an impression of my fingers in wax. Typically, there is more burning of fingers than production of molds, so far for me. But I did manage to get some impressions in plaster into which I could pour wax. When I joined the wax form of my fingers to my boots, I began to smile.
There were a few technical difficulties. The plaster required to cover both the hand and foot together was more (in each case) than I had mixed. At one point, I picked up my form and it separated. With help from the proper authority figures, I was able to repair the damage. What happened next in this repair was that when I was filling the plaster mold over the wax form and clay reservoir, the clay detached and the wax moved. That has been an occurence by which I have continued to be plagued.
The outcome of this particular event was demonstrated best
in the pics of my blue glass pieces. The boots did not fully form. Since then, I have been preparing to make more body part molds. I now have in my possession some dental alginate to use (so that it won’t be something irritating my skin.
But then we had midterms; we had other pressing concerns; I had to hand in my kiln log and cater to a few more crisis moments in the matter of cracking molds and other things that could go wrong.
Once again I am including the schedule for my firing on October 12. You might notice that the program is still too closely resembling that of my Handibles project in too many ways. My pieces continued to grow; however some of my timings remained too short. However, I think we might just have that figured out…….. Stay tuned.
Program October 12, Kiln #4 @ 3:pm
- 3: hrs ^90 degrees
- 12: hrs ^110 “
- 24: hrs ^120 “
- 30: hrs ^600 “
- 32: hrs @600 “
- 32:01 hrs ^850 “
- 40: hrs @850 “
- 40:01 hrs 516 “
- 55: hrs @516 “
- 80: hrs 390 “
- 100: hrs 50 “
In the slide show, you can see my plaster form was quite large compared to the earlier pieces of the Handibles and Bowls. Whatever I adjusted, it wasn’t enough!